Shellfish Lab

Items and references for WHSM exhibit

Shellfish lab photo – 300 dpi

“The exterior of the laboratory at Wellfleet, showing the hatching tubs. This building, formerly an oyster house situated on the Chequesset Inn wharf, was provided in 1908 for the use of the department by Mr. L. D. Baker of Wellfleet. One large room, 20 by 30 feet, is used for the laboratory, while two small rooms adjoining are utilized for sleeping quarters. The situation over the water affords satisfactory facilities for experimental work on sea forms.”

Link to full image

Source: Report of the Commissioners on Fisheries and Game-1910, Fig. 48.